After 510 days of vicious, contentious, and bitter fighting, the 2016 Presidential campaign came to an end. The nation went out and voted. And the end result was shocking.
The nation, pollsters, mainstream media, even the world was stunned. How Trump pulled it off was incredible, nearly impossible. Nobody gave him a chance, myself included. How could the country elect a real estate mogul, businessman and reality TV show host as our next President is anyone's guess, and especially after all the drama, antics, and rhetoric he used during the 18 month long campaign, not to mention everything crazy and wrong he's done and said in the past. Surely the country would vote in the one who was experienced and steady, and had devoted their life to public service, right? And who knows, perhaps finally break the glass ceiling and become the first female to lead this nation, despite her email scandal.
I am a Republican and hold my morals and values dear, but I couldn't convince myself that my party's nominee was worth my vote, especially when I would see how he treated those of other races, religions, and special interest groups, bullying his way past all the other candidates in the primaries. I couldn't support someone who blatantly and publicly demeaned women, proudly bragging about his conquests, especially when I have two daughters who are learning about value and self worth. I didn't appreciate his temperament, cockiness, and bigotry, and felt that he would make the US an outsider with other leaders around the world.
On the other hand, I was against Hillary the politician, her scandals and her policies. She was part of the established Left, and knew how Washington ran, with little or no chance to make any change to help our country improve. The chance that a Hillary presidency also meant putting in a liberal judge in the Supreme Court, which would tip a lot of decisions our country would have to make in the next 4 years. She was known for her double standard, and no one could believe her anymore.
The two evils. I couldn't believe these were the choices our country had come to.
In the end, I voted for her, and only because I wanted to be a part of history as the generation that elected the first female President. Alas, that opportunity came and went Tuesday night. I was disappointed, but not devastated.
I wasn't proud of my vote. But I made one, and that's what matters. So many people had the opportunity to vote but didn't, and just as well, if perhaps the result didn't go the way they wanted it to. But that is the beautiful thing about democracy and our country: the opportunity for our citizens to voice their choice and make decisions on who will lead. And now that we have, it's time to drop the negativity and contempt and start working to [hopefully] make America stronger together again. #MASTA. See what I did there?
I pray for our new President and VP, our leaders in Washington, our federal and local leaders, our citizens, and the world. I'm hopeful, looking forward to see what Trump can do.
And then we'll do it again in 4 years.
Here was our week:
Enjoying another Friday night fire.
The grandparents came up for the weekend. They missed Lala's bedtime back rubs!
Gorgeous day Sabbath, we picnicked with the Clarkes and Jamersons after church.
Enjoying her sandwich.
About to dig into hers.
Madelyn and Adalyn: divas.
The 3 buddies walking the Oakland Preserve Boardwalk.
Having a nice stroll.
Found a couple of baby alligators in the swamp along the boardwalk.
A nice fall day!
Helping Lala cut up some Jackfruit.
Kohl went with Mommy to do early voting Saturday night.
Playing "Heads Up"!
Even the grandparents got in on the fun!
Sunday morning, Braelyn's job to adjust the clocks back due to Daylight Savings.
Sunday evening joined the Bergs for dinner at a Ramen Noodle Restaurant.
Monday field trip to the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center to hear the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra.
The girls were line partners.
Kohlden sitting with his partner on the bus.
The girls waiting in line, all smiles.
As was Buddy.
Great to join them as a chaperone and listen to the symphony music. Nostalgic!
Picnic lunch at Barnett Park afterwards.
Kohlden made an indian headdress from construction paper.
Went and voted Tuesday morning. Meh.
Braelyn and her class voted too. Clinton won by a landslide!
More basketball practice after school.
Working on her homework.
I had her stay up a bit to watch the election coverage.
She colored in the electoral college map based on who won what state!
Maddy at the spelling bee meeting and review.
Swung by the Grodacks to drop off some fruit. We hadn't seen them in a while so it was nice to catch up.
The kids had fun throwing their balls at the tree to get them stuck.
Learning about maps and topography.
Midweek treat!
Such a beautiful day to be outside.
Oh yeah, this is going to be good!
Oh, so...
good!
Working together (yes!) on a puzzle.
Maddy staring at her ball or the moon.
Randoms:
Found this fish market and thought the white sign saying "fresh every day" was hilarious,
especially when there was a semi truck delivering "fresh frozen" fish out front!
Beautiful bowl of spicy miso ramen noodles from the noodle restaurant!
Banana and jackfruit eggroll dessert courtesy of Lala!
Looking for a sign...
Didn't see it actually happen but observed the rescue of a moped accident in College Park.
Exact time it took voting in our polling location! In and out!
Quote: 2012 Presidential Election Revisited:
She was in Kindergarten then. The past becoming the present.
How late did you all stay up on Election night? Dave stayed up the longest I bet. He listened to Trump give his speech live. That was about 1:30 AM our time. The whole thing was very interesting!!!!Love, Nana
Allen, you could be a political commentator on TV like Tom Brokaw or something! At first I felt like not voting this year since I didn't like the choices but that would be shunning my responsibility as a good citizen. In the end I voted for the one who was closest to my core values and tho' I'm opposite of my family's choice of a candidate, I made my choice and stuck with it! I believe the president elect's mind blowing success in the election despite himself (and everyone else who wrote him off from the very start) was providential. And I think that he needs our prayers and support for he will be a good leader in the end! I stayed up till 2am but didn't know he officially won till morning. God bless the new president and God bless America!
How late did you all stay up on Election night? Dave stayed up the longest I bet. He listened to Trump give his speech live. That was about 1:30 AM our time. The whole thing was very interesting!!!!Love, Nana
ReplyDeleteAllen, you could be a political commentator on TV like Tom Brokaw or something! At first I felt like not voting this year since I didn't like the choices but that would be shunning my responsibility as a good citizen. In the end I voted for the one who was closest to my core values and tho' I'm opposite of my family's choice of a candidate, I made my choice and stuck with it! I believe the president elect's mind blowing success in the election despite himself (and everyone else who wrote him off from the very start) was providential. And I think that he needs our prayers and support for he will be a good leader in the end! I stayed up till 2am but didn't know he officially won till morning. God bless the new president and God bless America!
ReplyDelete