1 Year, 28 Weeks.
I injured myself this week. Don't panic, I'm okay. Just a little shaken up. But probably more embarrassed than hurt.
I was trying to impress a girl. And usually, for some reason or other, it seems that anything or anyone around me, including myself, has the potential of getting hurt whenever I do something to try and impress them. Past moments such as these include the time I tried to impress some high school girls from Forest Lake Academy that were staying at our house with my driving skills, and how I backed the station wagon up the driveway...right into a tree. The car was okay; The tree was scarred for life. And possibly so was my little brother, sitting in the passenger seat. I was 13.
Another incident was when Tangie and I were dating, and of course I wanted to show off my skills during a group outing to the bowling alley. Unfortunately, she was standing a little too close behind me and when I swung my bowling ball back...well, you get the picture. I slammed my ball on her pinkie finger, which, unluckily, was right up against her own bowling ball. The x-ray later that evening confirmed a hairline fracture that would require wearing a finger splint for 2 months. Why she didn't dump me that evening is beyond me (Thank you, God...).
 |
| Trip to Stone Mountain, GA a few weeks after the bowling accident, 2001. Notice her right hand ~ good thing she's a lefty! |
So on Sunday afternoon we went to the Sweetwater Country Club to support some friends that were there for an open house to showcase their craft and edible goods. There was a large, inviting field of grass just in front of the club house, and we encouraged the kids to run and play and chase each other in it as we were walking up. Tangie asked Brae if she could do a cartwheel; Brae proceeded to do a forward tumble. So I showed her how a correct cartwheel is done.
Now, I pride myself in being somewhat physically fit. I am, after all, the recipient of 4 Presidential Physical Fitness Awards, all from Jr. High, AND they still sit on my awards display at my parents' house! But who's kidding who? I let myself go years ago, probably right after we got married. Because I didn't need to impress the ladies anymore. Because I love to eat. Because I'm secure with my body and my love handles. Anyway, I gave myself a running start and put my hands down to the soft earth. I felt a small pop on my right wrist. I completed my rotation and winced.
You dummy, why didn't you stretch first? But I couldn't show any pain ~ I was trying to impress a girl: My 4 year old daughter.
Luckily it was nothing major. Or even minor. Just a little tender the following day but that was it.
I'm such a wuss.
Because I'm only starting to write this post tonight (I usually begin sometime Tuesday and work on it through Thursday evening) I'm only going to give a brief summary of the past weekend's events but will post pictures to fill in where my writings gap. Tangie was in Pensacola Tuesday and Wednesday and it has been a rough week with the kids, and I'm thoroughly exhausted, so I will once again default to the pictures. But this is what we did:
- Friday evening: Dinner with Bergherms and Clarkes in downtown Ocoee with the Orlando Food Truck Pod. Tried a bunch of different and exotic foods. Delish!
- Saturday morning: Clarkes came over our house for brunch and then joined us at the Oakland Family Fall Festival. We attended the Loma Linda University Church online that afternoon. Great sermon Sis!
- Saturday night: Absolutely nothing. We took a walk. I cooked, we ate. Kids went down. I did laundry.
- Sunday morning: Brae had a video shoot with J Michael Media for Florida Hospital's Leadership Conference this upcoming weekend in Jacksonville. Enjoy the outtake clip!
- Sunday afternoon: Sweetwater open house, where I injured myself.
- Monday: Halloween. Trick or treating for almost 3 hours with Braelyn.
 |
| Sharing a joke. Costco last week. |
 |
| Maddy's rendition of the evil Queen Jezebel. |
 |
| Tangie making omelets. Marlissa cooking [turkey] bacon. |
 |
| Jared watches Isabella and Brae at the chalkboard. |
 |
| With an albino skunk held by "Swamp Girl". |
 |
| Having a tea party with Brae. |
 |
| Brae playing plinko. |
 |
| Like finding a needle in a haystack... |
 |
| The guy always has to sit on the ground! What's up with that? |
 |
| Sliding down the bouncy house. |
 |
| Mommy and the kiddos. |
 |
| Taking a night walk. |
 |
| Jared adjusts the focus. |
 |
| Brae reviews her notes. |
 |
| The talent takes a break. |
|
| Family comes to support. |
 |
| Final thoughts with Uncle Mike via Skype. |
 |
| New tennis shoes with laces from JCPenny's. |
 |
| Using brother as a back rest. |
 |
| On the field just moments before my injury. |
 |
| Jennifer Bergherm of Sweet Expectations and Lisa Deininger of Pies by Lisa showcase their yummy goodies. |
 |
| Maddy was a cute little fairy. |
 |
| Mommy leads the apprehensive ones. |
 |
| One for you, one for you, and one for you. |
 |
| Just call me "Bones", like the doctor on Star Trek. |
 |
| This guy just decided to lie in the middle of the road. Very creepy, he scraped his shovel on the asphalt as he walked around. |
 |
| Brae shows off her loot. |
 |
| Wearing boots on a very rainy Monday, heading out to a Pumpkin Patch thing with a bunch of other mommies that we ended up missing because I went to the wrong location. Just like a man! |
 |
| Kohl was very interested in the book. That, or he needs new reading glasses. |
 |
| She was playing peek-a-boo. |
 |
| Sharing the same joke. Costco this week. |
It's funny how many interesting characters I observe on the road during my outings with the twins. I don't know if I just didn't pay close attention to people before, or if I'm just a little bit more aware now a days. Like the family driving down Princeton near Florida Hospital with the mom driving while the dad was smoking on his marijuana pipe. Or the man getting gas at Costco trying to be inconspicuous while stealing glances at the very attractive lady with the short skirt opposite his pump. And as fate would have it, his truck bed was full of cut branches and logs, and it presented the perfect opportunity that I couldn't pass up. So as I finished up and opened my door I yelled out to him, "Looks like you got yourself some wood!" and promptly drove away. But then I guess it isn't any different from the time I was stopped at a red light and dancing to the music in my seat for the kids' delight and amusement. My head bobbing up and down, shoulders swaying, arms flailing and body moving like only a straight Asian father of three can, when I turn to my left to see a truckload of Mexican landscape workers just staring at me. That green light couldn't have come fast enough.
Here are some randoms:
 |
| Pretty bad accident Monday morning. Car went across the median, causing the truck to jack knife, and hit the truck head on. |
 |
| Look at the spooky lawn decorations. Now look at the license plate. |
 |
| You think this person is into Halloween? |
A few dinners:
 |
| Mediterranean baked fish with basil sauce and spaghettini. |
 |
| Beef tenderloin with boursin, blanched asparagus. |
 |
| Grilled salmon and couscous, with crème fraîche and salmon caviar. |
 |
| Pasta. Delicious and creamy. |
We were driving home from school when she wanted to ask me something, but I think I sidetracked her with my answer:
Brae: "Daddy?"
Me: "Yes, Sweetheart?"
Brae: "No, don't call me sweetheart! Say, 'Yes, Braelyn?'"
Me: "Why not? Why can't I call you sweetheart?"
Brae: "Because I'm not sweet!"
Me: "You aren't? How come?"
Brae: "Because...I'm NOT food!"
Have a nice weekend.
Allen, Allen, Allen. You're KILLING me with that wood joke. I retold it to Duncan and he saw it coming a mile away but honestly, I was thinking you were going to ask him if you could have some of the wood. Okay, I just went back and read what I wrote and it sounds horrible given the context of your joke. Anyway, we saw your brother this morning and we're hoping to get Calleigh on video this afternoon.
ReplyDeleteSo funny! Loved the wood joke.
ReplyDeleteFunny blog! Yeah, I thought you were going to ask for some firewood for the fire pit! Loved the costumes specially Kohl's (expect great things!) I'd like a print of the funny joke at Costco, please!. Enjoyed Braelyn's debut to show biz! Great job, Brae! Have a great week! LALA
ReplyDelete