Picture

Picture

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Happy Birthday! (via induction)

Well it's been 8 days since the births, but I'm sure you all want to hear/see all about the events leading up to it.


Tangie had been off work since March 31 (@ 35 1/2 weeks), thinking "any day could be the day". It didn't help that her doctor told her, "It could be 3 days, it could be 3 weeks. You're ripe and ready." I continued working though, each phone call quickening my pulse just a smidge.

Her mom and grandmother arrived to assist us on April 7. Still no babies. So they gave themselves the responsiblity to help induce active labor, namely, walking the malls, shopping, and eating out. It was like a vacation! This continued for another 12 days.



We did have several instances when we thought we were going to go to the hospital. Tangie had some pretty big contraction periods that were intense and consistent, but then when we thought this was it, they stopped. So we got an appointment to be induced at 38 weeks on Monday April 19 @ 9 AM at Winnie Palmer Hospital, where Braelyn was born.




The process started slow. Her doctor had a full morning schedule and didn't want her to start before he could finish, so we really didn't go gangbusters until around 3 pm. Upon arrival Tangie was already 4 cm, and received her epidural around 5 cm. It was nice to have our backyard neighbor, Barbara Tovar-Leon, as a nurse anesthetist there at the hospital. She was able to check up on us periodically and made sure Tangie was in good hands with the anesthesia people. Once the doctor broke her water, we started to see progress. They prepped the Operating Room since they needed to have precautions for multiple births in case they need to do an emergency C-section (thankfully wasn't our case) or complications with the babies. I was dressed in gown and mask. There were 17 people in the room; It was quite the production.


Kohlden came out kicking and screaming at 7:19. He was 6 lbs, 1 oz, 19" long. At 6 lbs, 12 oz, & 21" long, Madelyn came out 3 minutes later. She was blue and un-responsive. I noticed something was wrong when I saw her color and the doctor shaking her vigorously as he cut her umbilical cord. The team surrounded her and moved quickly, as we heard "She's aspirated." "Her heart rate is dropping" and "Call Neo-natal now!" As strong as I needed to be for Tangie at that moment, it was the most scared I had ever been in my life. It was the longest 2 or 3 minutes while I watched them work on Madelyn, putting a tube down her throat to remove fluid from her lungs and forcing oxygen through a mask. I saw a nurse wink at me and then I heard Maddy scream. Loud. It was the most beautiful sound as I re-assured Tangie that Maddy was okay. It was only then that Tangie opened her eyes.


We were only able to see the twins for a brief moment before they whisked Maddy off to Neo-natal Intensive Care for observations. The twins would be separated for the next 4 days. We took turns going down to visit her during our stay in the hospital while Kohlden stayed with us in the room. It was like having 2 different babies in different hospitals. But we were all able to leave the hospital together on Thursday. It was nice to be a complete family.
Braelyn visited us at the hospital everyday. She is enamored by her new brother and sister and shows a love and maturity about her that totally blows my mind. I know she will be a good influence and support to her siblings.





My parents joined us last week as well to support with meals and chores and baby duty, so we had a full house. Now it's time to learn our new schedules and challenges that accompany this next chapter in life!

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice stroller built for three that you guys have! Great blog! Can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more pictures and read more about your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world of blogging. See, it wasn't that bad, was it? I'm officially adding you to my Google Reader so I'll know when you've posted a new entry. And I echo Stephanie. I love that picture with Braelyn sitting in the bottom!

    ReplyDelete