Picture

Picture

Friday, December 20, 2013

SI's Sportsman Of The Year

3 Years, 35 Weeks.



"To me, he's the greatest of all time."

                                                                    -- Tom Brady, on Peyton Manning.
                                                                        NFL Network interview, 2011




I'm not biased or anything, but I was euphoric when I learned that Sports Illustrated had given the 2013 award for Sportsman of the Year to our quarterback, Peyton Manning.

And deservedly so.

Not only has he amassed countless NFL records throughout his entire career; he continues to do so even after a serious injury that required 4 neck surgeries just 3 years ago.  And even then he persevered and showed us that his best is yet to come.

But it's the man behind the athlete that I've been impressed by; his passion for his charities and giving back to the community, so much so that even St. Vincent Children's Hospital in Indianapolis renamed themselves Peyton Manning Children's Hospital, operated by St. Vincent.  His ability to reach out and help organizations around the community, most of the time without public knowledge or media scrutiny, is something he and his wife Ashley continue to do in their new city, inspiring others and winning the hearts of many.




So, where am I going with this?

Nowhere.

I just needed a topic for this week's post and thought I'd share.  :)



Here was our week:


  • Sabbath Tangie took the kids to church and Sabbath school, attending a potluck lunch there to celebrate the birth of Jesus for the twins' Beginners Sabbath School class.  I needed a break away from the kids, a time out rather ~ sometimes you just need some peace and quiet, so I stayed home and overdosed on some classical music and caught up on some stuff.   I did join them that evening, for some holiday festivities, as we took to Mt. Dora for their Christmas lights and ice sledding.  We had never been up there during this time of the year, and they know how to do lights right! We walked around the quaint downtown area, having sushi and Thai for dinner and stopping by the local ice cream shop for dessert.  We totally messed up though, on our way home, as we didn't realize we'd be getting back so late, and forgot to bring pajamas for them to change in.  Of course, waking them up and trying to get them into their pajamas upon arrival ended up being a little more work for us and TORTURE for them!  Lesson learned: never leave home without pajamas.

I'm the king of the world!

Whoops, Madelyn...

With pal Zoe Alvarenga at the potluck.

Kohl and a friend at the manger scene.

She wanted the cupcake.  Could you say no to those eyes?

Panoramic scenery of the sledding hill and surrounding lights.

Lights, lights everywhere!

They really did a great job lighting up all the trees in the area.

Enjoying dessert at the ice cream shop.

And...we're out!

  • Sunday morning started with a brunch birthday party for our neighbors the Ottati's, their daughter Alexa celebrating her 2nd birthday.  We had the usual suspects there, the parents enjoying chatter while the kids engaged in the bouncy house and adjacent trampoline.  Catherine, who is just several weeks since having their 3rd child, outdid herself and created quite the spread, it was amazing!  Afterwards I took the kids out for a few hours in the afternoon while Tangie stayed home and caught up on some things for work.  Brae needed new sneakers for gym class, and then we swung by Barnes and Noble to look at some books, trying to avoid being trampled by all the holiday shoppers out buying presents.  A quick stop to the playground, we headed home just in time for a mommy/daughter date for Tangie and Brae.  She surprised her by going to the Amway Center downtown for her first ever live concert, The Fresh Beat Band!  Brae was stunned, and so excited! They had gotten dressed with some bling and thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and it was a nice bonding time for them.  Next up, Taylor Swift!

They decided to run/bike to the birthday party.  I love that we live so close!

Loving the trampoline.

The spread.

Enjoying their fill of brunch.

Maddy trying to figure out whose baby this is.

The Ottati family celebrating.  Alexa is the one in the middle.

That's one way to clear up the debris!  I love how Kohl is diving to get away from the leaf blower!

Some reading time at Barnes and Noble.

Doing her thing on the monkey bars.

The ladies all ready for their night out.




Fresh Beat Band concert at the Amway Center.

Thumbs up!  Having a great time.

Meanwhile, Maddy peels an orange...

  • The rest of our week:

Waiting for big sister to finish gymnastics rehearsal.  Love this guy's sense of style!




Testing out their new matching booster seats!

Sharing a pear noodle with Daddy.

More back seat shenanigans!

Late afternoon bike ride.

Quick trip to Park Ave in Winter Park to surprise

Miss Jennifer for her open house at Sassafras Sweet Shoppe!

Sampling some of Miss Jennifer's tasty treats!

Supporting our friend and personal cake maker!

Make your own pizza night.

Anxiously awaiting Santa Claus via Ocoee Police and Fire Departments.




Food:


Grilled Chicken and Roasted Vegetables in Broth.

The pizzas came out looking like pies!


Randoms:




Mmmm....feet....

Can barely see it, but Jupiter in the sky at sunset.

I'd say a very Merry Christmas for a couple of chaps!


Quotes:


  • We were driving out of the Publix parking lot for home when the twins recognized the homely looking cart girl that collects all the carts and brings them back into the store:
          Maddy:  "Hey, there's that guy!"
          Kohl:  "Yeah, the one with the dots on her face!"
          Maddy:  "You mean moles?"
          Kohl:  "Yeah...I have a mole on my bottom..."
          
          Seriously dude?


5 days and counting!


Have a great weekend!


1 comment: