Picture

Picture

Friday, May 18, 2012

Calleigh and Aubree's Mother's Day Birthday Weekend

2 Years, 4 weeks



 "God could not be everywhere and therefore He made Mothers." 

                                                                                           -- Old Jewish Proverb


This weekend was a celebration for Mother's Day, and we had the great opportunity to spend it with two very special moms, namely, Tangie and Lala.  

Before I begin, let me just say a BIG thank you to all the moms out there, doing what you do.  This past year I have seen and experienced first hand how incredibly intense and exhausting a mother's job to her children and family can be.  I am truly grateful for the the dedication and commitment our mothers' have provided to all of us growing up, and to the children of our own.  We love you too, Nana!

Okay, so the weekend started with Lolo and Lala coming up Friday evening.  They arrived just in time for a fish taco and corn-on-the-cob dinner, and then we went for a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood just before sundown.  


Corn-on-the-cob with Lala!

Bike ride for the kids as the day winds down.

Kohl had a hard time steering.

Madelyn pops a wheelie (actually, this was easier than having her steer!)

Brae got tired of riding her scooter, so guess who ended up having to carry it home?

I think they were exhausted!

On Sabbath morning we headed out for church.  We've been trying to go to church earlier and earlier so we can start attending some of the actual service as opposed to just Sabbath school.  So we left just before ten and arrived right as the sermon was about to begin.  We attempted to watch from the balcony;  there was a choir performance in lieu of a preacher's sermon so that helped a little with the kids' attention.  We did, however, bring a bag of coloring activities and crafts to assist us later on, and sure enough, we ended up using them.


She looked like a hippie girl!

Maddy and Kohl kneeling up front with the teacher.

Unsuccessfully blowing their pinwheels.

Hello!




We had a nice homemade Indian lunch of Masala chicken, Bombay potatoes, and Madras lentils, enjoying the weather outside on the back patio.  Then it was time for naps, and even Tangie decided that it was so nice ouside she took hers on the hammock under the pergola.  Once everyone was awake we took the kids to the play park to let some energy out.  The grandparents enjoyed seeing them showcase their athletic abilities:  "Lala, watch this!"  Afterwards we took them out for Mother's Day and had dinner at Roadhouse Steakhouse and then a quick trip to Target to top off the night.



Painting some crafts while the twins slept.





Drawing on the front walkway.

Kohl shares a swing with Lolo.




Somehow I lost my legs without knowing it!

Enjoying some time with my daughters.

Braelyn and I doing some gymnastics.

And of course, Maddy wanted to try it too!


Sunday morning we gave Tangie the day off, to do as she pleased.  She did a little work at Barnes & Noble, then treated herself to a pedicure and then went (surprise!)  shopping at the outlets.  I started the day mowing the lawn so Lala was in charge of the children for a few hours, and then afterwards we met up with Lolo at the Orlando Science Center, the first time they had ever visited the exhibits.  They had a lot of fun watching the children explore and play, including the time Maddy overreached her length when playing with the boats in the water and fell in headfirst.  Luckily I saw the whole thing as it happened, so I just plucked her out.  She was, of course, very much surprised and soaking wet, and I think with everyone watching her she started to freak out and cry and I had to calm her down and change her outfit, but not until I took a picture so I could post it here.  I mean, I had to have some proof, right?




Right after the incident occurred.

New outfit, all better now.  Trying on some antlers.


The grandparents left for home from there when we were finished.  We were to attend Calleigh and Aubree's birthday party at a play park in Winter Park and I had to head back home to pick up their gifts and a watermelon, so the children took their naps in the van, except Madelyn.  She's been touch and go with her naps as of late, although she'll stay quiet and keep herself busy in her crib while her brother sleeps.  Anyway, Brae and Kohl did get their naps in, as I made my way back to the house and then to the birthday party on the other side on town.  Tangie met us there from her shopping day and so we spent the next couple of hours spending time with friends and celebrating Calleigh turning 5 and Aubree turning 3 this year.  




The birthday girls!

The twins just hanging around together.

Brae enjoyed the zip line.



There was a plethora of good eats:  Publix subs, a variety of chips and dips, watermelon, veggies and fruit, and, of course, a delicious 2 flavor cake made by the legendary Jennifer Bergherm of renowned Sweet Expectations Bakery!  The children enjoyed playing at the play park, which was amazing.  I always wondered where the really nice playgrounds were in Orlando.  Now I know:  they're all in Winter Park.  But I guess the best is always where the money is...  They all had fun running, chasing, wrestling.  They were a tired crew when it was time to head home.



The birthday cake.  Apparently the girls were way older than I thought!

Trying to make sure the tulle fabric didn't catch on fire!

I guess we missed something real funny!

Maddy picking some flowers.

Calleigh addresses the group:  "So, you're probably wondering why I called you all in today..."

Tangie and Corey "bump" their iPhones to exchange photos taken during the party.
Yeah, technology is amazing!


It's crazy to think how time flies, and how, in just 5 short years, we and our group of friends have really impacted the earth's population!  I guess we're just really taking it to heart when God told Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful and multiply!"  It's amazing to think that 5 years ago, these precious lives weren't even in existence and now we couldn't even fathom life without them!  Oh how much fun the past five years have been!




The group doing their "gangster" moves.



On Monday Kohl had a doctor's visit for an evaluation on some cosmetic surgery to remove the little tag of skin on the tip of his right ear.  Great, now how am I gonna tell the twins apart?!?  They also performed a hearing test on him, to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with his hearing, which came out negative.  Tangie and I met en route to pick Braelyn up, and took Kohl with her to the doctor's office.  I left with Maddy and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, a pang of guilt and emptiness came over me, as I hadn't been with the twins being separated since I can't remember when.  And it didn't help since Maddy kept calling out, "Kohldie!"  It was a nice reunion when they got back home from the doctor's.  His surgery is scheduled for June 14. 


Kohl waits at the doctor's office.

Brae and her new giant centipede, "Crawly."

Having pancakes for dinner!
Maddy falls flat on her back!

Meeting a new furry friend at Home Depot, of all places!

A yellow kind of a day at Costco!


Couple meals this week:




Beef tenderloin salad.

Animal pancakes.


Quotes:
  • It was raining one afternoon and we were singing the "It's raining, it's pouring" nursery rhyme:
             Me:  "It's raining, it's..."
             Maddy and Kohl:  "Pouring!"
             Me:  "The old man is..."
             Maddy and Kohl:  "Boring!"

             Um, I think the word you're looking for is "snoring..."

  • We were riding home after picking Braelyn up from school:
              Brae:  "Daddy, I wish I can have magic."
              Me:  "What do you mean?"
              Brae:  "I wish I can do magic."
              Me:  "I can do magic."
              Brae:  "No you can't!  Only God and Jesus can do magic....and Peter Pan."

              I see.



Lots of love!


Have a great weekend!


1 comment:

  1. You got me laughing and crying with this one, Allen! Very touching rendition of sentiments for Mother's day, and Kohldie's incoming surgery! We'll be thinking and praying for him till then. Your 5 year kiddos/eval is funny but true! Nice birthday party! Beautiful celebrants and gorgeous cake! Ingenuous rock band! Beautiful pictures! Nice blog! Lala

    ReplyDelete