Picture

Picture

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow.

1 Year, 50 Weeks.


I lost 5 lbs this week.

Don't believe me?  Well, I did.

And I didn't use some magic diet pill or participate in any radical weight loss program.  I didn't even limit my daily food intake, since usually losing that many pounds in one week requires periods of planned starvation.  No, there weren't any unconventional methods used.  In fact, I did it with one simple and easy step:

I got a haircut.

It had been nine months since my last visit to the stylist.  I remember this because it was just after I left the company back in June last year.  I don't want to say that I got lazy, but I guess I just didn't think too much about it.  That is, until it started to get really shaggy.  But then it passed the point of no return, and it began to have a life of its own.  It was starting to get crazy looking, unmanageable, and scraggly.  That's when I had to take action and, with some help, made the decision to get the flowing locks chopped off.





Because, let's face it, I was never going to be asked to play the part of Jesus for the Easter Passion Play, me being a short Asian man who can't even grow a full beard.  Because it was starting to look unbecoming of a 35 year old husband and father of three.  Because Braelyn got tired of me borrowing her elastic hair bands.  Because it's been so hot outside and even hotter with a fur coat on your head. Because it was taking forever to get ready in the mornings.  Because it was time to do it.

And because my wife told me to.






It's amazing how much lighter my head feels, and what's even more amazing is that I can actually hear Tangie better when she talks to me now.  Maybe my hair WAS the cause for all those moments of miscommunication...  And I think I also gained a few years with the haircut making me look a little younger.  Or hotter, in my wife's opinion...

Okay, enough about that!

So what else happened to us this week?


Playing in Mommy's bathtub.

A bubble beard!

Lunch with Mommy at Winter Garden Pizza Company.


We didn't do much over the weekend, although we did spend some time with the Zbaruschuk family, both Saturday evening for dinner at their home with the Johnsons, and then on Sunday to celebrate their boys' birthdays along with Luke Deininger's at the Pinocchio Marionette Theatre at the Altamonte Mall. Yes, I had reservations of stepping back into the mall but I did it for the kids...and I am a loyal friend, right?   Anyway, they put on a 45 minute show about Peter Pan and Wendy which Braelyn enjoyed but the twins not so much; they were too antsy, with Maddy complaining of the dark and Tangie finally bringing them out halfway through to go play at the mall kids' area.  Afterwards we had pizza and cake and made it back home by 3 for some late naps.


The adults make ice cream in Ziplock bags.




At the kids' table.  I don't know why our kids have food while the Z boys don't.  I just noticed that.

The Italian spread at the adults' table.

A topless Madelyn making sure she doesn't leave any of her dollies.

Brae sits up front with her friends at the marionette theatre.

The three birthday celebrants pose in front of their cakes.

While the paparazzi of mom and grandmothers take their shots!


I have been in a frugal mood as of the past two weeks, and have limited our purchases and expenses to gas and food staples, i.e.  milk, eggs, and bread.  I've been giving myself a challenge to use up all the food we have sitting in the pantry, in the refrigerator, and both freezers, without going to the supermarket and stocking back up.  I've had to be creative at times, but we've always had enough to eat, considering we had purchased them before for consumption, right?  Anyway, it's been fun to see the shelves emptying out and seeing what else we can make everyday.


Kohlden fashions a new and very European Speedo!



The next day his swim trunks just didn't fit quite as snug.

Maddy tripped and crashed into her crib on Tuesday evening.  Luckily, her forehead was there to soften the blow.

All better, the twins show their length on the staircase.

Finally got the Cannonball Splash pool out and filled with air for the summer!



A few dishes this week:


Calabrese salad

Pots of eggplant parmesan with basil sprigs

Chicken teriyaki with Shiitake mushrooms


Quotes of the week:

  • The kids were watching Diego on Nick Jr. and this episode was on saving the sea turtles so they could go to the beach and nest:
          Me:  "Look Brae, see how they use their flippers to dig the hole?"
          Brae:  "Why do they use their flippers?"
          Me:  "Because they don't have hands.  That's how they make the hole to lay their eggs."
          Brae:  "Like a nest?"
          Me:  "Yup.  Now watch her lay her eggs in it."  [The turtle starts to drop her eggs]
          Brae:  "Ewww!   They POOP it?!?!"

  • At the Orlando Science Center, Kohl and Maddy were playing, until Kohl went to grab the toy Maddy was playing with out of her hands.  Her response?  She pointed a finger and jabbed it in his chest with an emphatic "Don't!  Time out!"

  • When I got back home after getting my haircut, the twins had just gotten up from their naps.  When they last saw me I had the long hair and now this guy who eerily looked like Daddy but with short short hair was coming in from the garage.  Maddy wouldn't come to me and held on to Mommy, until she heard my voice and realized it was me.  Kohlden, on the other hand, pointed to me and said, "Uncle Mike!"

That's been our week in a nutshell.  Tangie has a couple of busy weeks ahead, the children continue to play and grow, and Brae has a 4 day Easter weekend, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to share next time.


Enjoying their ice cream waffle bowls.  Summer is here!


Until then, have a great week!


2 comments:

  1. Aww, your hair is sayang! but I'd admit you look a lot younger and hotter in your new haircut! I like it better this way! Kohl looks great in his new speedo! He just need to tuck his tummy a little! Dad and I are doing the same thing w/ our food stock in the pantry and the freezer. So much food just waiting to be eaten before they freezer burn! Good job guys! Enjoy the warm weather and be safe! Lala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen, I guess I should have been more anxious to cut your hair myself!!!!!!Will this be another 9 month HCT? Is that why it is so short???Oh, well...Tell Brae I'm so proud of her jumping into the pool and swimming to the edge. She could not do that before she decided to be brave in swim lessons....Please kiss Maddy's forehead for me, I hope she's OK....I hope you are all well, cause we are all sick in Denver!!!!! I'll be more cheerful next week.

    ReplyDelete